The British government has signed an order authorizing the extradition of Julian Assange to the United States. What is the crime of this Australian journalist?
To have leaked massive amounts of confidential documents showing, among other things:
- U.S. war crimes in Iraq, including assassinations and more than 15,000 unreported civilian deaths
- The torture of men and boys, ages 14 to 89 at the Guantanamo Bay detention camp
- Washington’s illegal spying on U.N. secretaries-general and other diplomats
- The CIA-initiated military coup in Honduras in 2009
- The U.S. secret war in Yemen in which tens of thousands were killed
- and more!
For exposing the truth, the U.S. government wants to bury him alive. He faces 175 years in prison. But he deserves our defense and admiration. A post by the well-known Australian investigative journalist John Pilger read:
Home Secretary Priti Patel has approved the extradition of Julian #Assange to an American hellhole. A new appeal will now challenge the political rottenness of British “justice.” Either we raise our voices as never before, or our silence colludes in the death of an heroic man.